News and Announcements
7/8 Grade Boys Basketball Tryout Information
Dear Jewel Parent(s),
The Jewel Middle School Basketball program will make cuts at the 7th and 8th grade levels. The criteria that all coaches at the 7th and 8th grade level will use to determine which student/athlete will make the team is as follows;
- Basketball talent level
- Individual basketball skills- ball handling, passing, shooting, rebounding, and defense
- How well can they play team basketball? (Playing with four other players)
- How coachable are they? How well does the athlete listen and able to follow directions.
- Level of effort being put forth
- Attitude- how well does the athlete take instruction or criticism and make the correct improvements. Overall academic success and school behavior
Basketball tryouts will run from October 17-21. Practices will occur sometimes before school and sometimes after school. It is very important that each athlete make every practice possible so that the coaches can properly evaluate the talents of each player. After October 21st, the 7th and 8th coaches will decide on which players will make the team and which players will not make either of these teams. Each athlete will be notified of the coach’s decisions. The coaches look forward to working with your son during the upcoming season and they are looking forward to your support.
If you are interested in participating in 7/8th grade boys basketball you need to have:
- a current physical (sports physicals are only good for 13 months);
- on-line registration filled out completely;
To register online use the following instructions:
- Go to http://il.8to18.com/jewel/ (no www) and select registration tab towards top of the webpage.
- If you have already signed you child up for a previous athletic team please use the same email and log in password.
- New account click on “Create An Account” and enter your own email and create your own password. (Please be sure to remember this password as you will use this for the years to come for all of your children.)
Coach Merrill and Coach Bridges
8th grade placement practices 7th grade placement practices
10/17 Monday 4:00 - 5:30PM 10/17 Monday 4:00 - 5:30PM
10/18 Tuesday 7:00 – 85:30AM 10/18 Tuesday 4:00 – 5:30PM
10/19 Wednesday 4:00 – 5:30PM 10/19 Wednesday 7:00 – 8:30AM
10/20 Thursday 4:00 – 5:30PM 10/14 Thursday 7:00 - 8:30AM
10/21 Friday 7:00 – 8:30 AM 10/15 Friday 7:00 – 8:30 AM